Cognician is looking for a talented
and it might just be you!
Cognician designers are responsible for creating original designs for Cognician products, including: the platform, brand, related marketing materials, and bespoke client and partner projects. This includes designing whole websites, web pages, and custom interfaces, as well as smaller design elements, from conception through to implementation. Cognician designers apply user-centred design and UX principles to reach the best design solutions which drive results.
Do you yearn for a job where everything you do is focused on making people’s lives better?
Do you want to be in a job that challenges you to create better solutions every day – solutions that will help people around the world to help themselves?
Do you believe that learning should be fascinating and fun?
We believe that anyone is capable of growing, changing and being more than who they believe they are, if they have the right tools. It’s our mission to create such tools and to encourage a lifelong love of learning in our customers.
If you have the courage – and the will – to be world class every day, then we’d love to have you on our team. In exchange, we’ll offer you the opportunity to work with world-leading thinkers in education. And we promise that you’ll have the same opportunities to learn and grow that we offer our customers. We take personal growth seriously and we want folks with us who feel the same – for their own sake, as well as ours.
We are building the world’s best platform for online learning and we’re looking for a designer who is up to the challenge of arranging pixels and code that can hang in a global gallery. Curious? Inspired? Excited? We’d love to hear from you.
- Skills & Attributes
Your Work Experience
Minimum 2–3 years of professional industry experience in a graphic design/web design position, where you’ve had design and development roles
Digital design, branding and image creation
Wireframing and prototyping websites and interfaces
Print design skills (beneficial)
Collaborating with a team of writers and developers to meet design needs within deadline
Maintaining a consistently high standard of design
Contributing to blogs on our various web properties, whether in writing or by producing infographics and other graphic assets
User research, testing and iterating on designs according to requirements
Planning user personas and journeys, and applying this to design concepts
Ensuring that all Cognician processes and interactions are as user-friendly as possible
Translating designs to code, with the help of a dedicated front-end developer
- HTML and CSS savvy (essential)
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign expertise (essential)
- Able to think outside the box and generate lots of ideas on paper, creating digital mockups and prototypes (essential)
- Clojure (beneficial)
- Knowledge of GitHub processes (beneficial)
- Ability to prioritise workload, work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines
- Able to work independently as well as in a team
- Natural ability to take initiative, constantly challenging the status quo
- Able to maintain the highest quality standards and attention to detail, whether creating a public-facing product, or producing drafts for internal consideration, or even writing an e-mail
- Innate drive to produce consistently great work
- Good written and verbal communication skills, easily able to explain concepts to clients and partners
- Passion for self-improvement and insatiable curiosity for the world at large
- A good (preferably quirky) sense of humour
- A strong belief in what we are trying to achieve, and desire to be part of our future!
Benefits of working at Cognician
- Free access to some of the best personal development tools in the world :)
- Unlimited access to Cognician's library, housing hundreds of books.
- iMacs and Macbooks, along with free access to some of the best online software: Google Apps, Asana, Lucid Charts, InVision, Browserstack, Github, Murally, Flowdock, etc.
- Exposure to industry experts at our monthly Mind Melds.
- Annual company wide retreat to somewhere fabulous, called our Mega Mind Meld.
- Free access to industry specific conferences and training.
- Flexible working hours and locations.
- Free drinks and braai every Friday at our funky new offices.
- And much more!
Here's how you can apply
Please read the following carefully - it's important!
- We need you at our home base in Cape Town, South Africa. This is not a remote position.
- We need to see what you can do - please include a PDF portfolio of recent work and links to live sites you have helped to produce.
- Language is core to our work, so please make sure you don't have any spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Who we work with is just as important as what we do. Tell us about yourself! You can meet all of us on our team page!
Try and set yourself apart from the other applicants. Show us why you are special!
Please only get in touch if you're able to meet all of these needs - we don't want to disappoint you :-)email@example.com