What’s Cognician all about?
At Cognician, we believe that anyone is capable of growing, changing and being more than who they are, if they have the right tools. It’s our mission to create such tools and to encourage a lifelong love of learning in our customers.
Does this mission stir something in you? Do you believe that learning should be fascinating and fun? Do you yearn for a job where everything you do is focussed on making people’s lives better? Do you want to be in a job that challenges you to create better solutions every day – solutions that will help people around the world to help themselves?
We don’t do average at Cognician. If you have the courage – and the will – to be world class every day, then we’d love to have you on our team. In exchange, we’ll offer you the opportunity to work with world-leading thinkers in education. And we promise that you’ll have the same opportunities to learn and grow that we offer our customers. We take personal growth seriously and we want folks with us who feel the same – for their own sake, as well as ours.
We’re building the world’s best platform for online learning and we’re looking for a design intern whose creativity and skills have the power to resonate across the globe. Curious? Inspired? Excited? We’d love to hear from you!
- Our design intern will be working with our senior designer, independently, and as part of a team to create original designs for Cognician products, the platform, brand, related marketing materials and bespoke clients and partner projects.
- This ranges from helping to design entire websites, web pages, and custom interfaces, to smaller design elements (from concept through to implementation).
- Our senior designer will teach our design intern to use a number of design tools such as Sketch (responsive web design) and SCSS (responsive styling development)
- The intern will be given smaller projects to own and will be expected to add their own creative touch and flair to these.
- Our intern will be expected to apply user centered design and UX principles to reach the best design solution and drive results. This includes:
- User research, testing, and iterating on designs according to requirements
- Planning user personas and journeys and applying this to design concepts
- Ensuring all Cognician processes and interactions are as user-friendly as possible
You’ll be expected to help out with the following Cognician projects:
- General graphic and web design duties:
- Digital design, branding and image creation
- Wireframing and prototyping websites and interfaces
- High fidelity design prototyping
- Collaborating with a team of writers and developers to meet the design needs within the deadline
- Translating designs to code with the help of a dedicated front end developer
- Building functional and beautiful websites and interfaces
- Keeping up with web trends and the latest industry developments
- Cognician blogs:
- Formatting and editing blog post banner images
- Working with the writers on post layouts
- Newsletter design and layout
- Overall design management
- Designing marketing material (any fresh stuff the team comes up with)
- Download pages (for all Cognician and related product downloads):
- Creating the downloads pages: Here your first responsibility will be the responsive design for (1) product downloads page and (2) download details page. Your second responsibility is the HTML & SCSS for these pages.
- Design and create the downloads page images
- Design and create download detail images (for the actual download pages where users fill in their info)
- Design and create download detail layouts
- Material for Cognician’s coaching guides:
- Design and create diagrams and images
- Work with the Cog Development Team (writers, cog developers and project managers)
- Data visualisation (work with the report creator to make their vision a reality)
- Design layouts for reports
- Platform design
- Design, customize and create product/client templates
- Roll-out design templates
- A tertiary qualification in a graphic or digital design-related field
- A digital or online portfolio, including live examples of your work
- Courses or certification in web design-related and UX subjects
- Of course any and all experience is hugely beneficial too!
Skills and attributes:
- HTML5 and CSS3 (very beneficial)
- Resourceful and innovative
- Ideation and curiosity
- Excellent organisational skills: Good time management and ability to work to deadlines
- The ability to use case prioritisation and personas to create high quality work
- Good work ethic
- An innate drive to produce consistently great work
- Capable of working to a brief
- Energetic, passionate, open and willing to learn
- Self-disciplined and motivated
- Ability to work in a close-knit team environment
- Ability to work well and collaborate efficiently with others
- A good (preferably quirky) sense of humour
- Print design skills would be beneficial
- A commitment to excellence and ensuring that a consistent high standard of design is kept!
Benefits of working at Cognician
- Free access to some of the best personal development tools in the world 🙂
- Unlimited access to Cognician’s library, housing hundreds of books.
- iMacs and Macbooks, along with free access to some of the best online software: Google Apps, Asana, Lucid Charts, InVision, Browserstack, Github, Murally, Flowdock, etc.
- Exposure to industry experts at our monthly Mind Melds.
- Annual company wide retreat to somewhere fabulous, called our Mega Mind Meld.
- Free access to industry specific conferences and training.
- Flexible working hours and locations.
- Free drinks and braai every Friday at our funky new offices.
- And much more!
Here’s how you can apply
Please read the following carefully – it’s important!
- We need you at our home base in Cape Town, South Africa. This is not a remote position.
- We need to see what you can do – please include a PDF portfolio of recent work and links to live sites you have helped to produce.
- Language is core to our work, so please make sure you don’t have any spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Who we work with is just as important as what we do. Tell us about yourself! You can meet all of us on our team page!
Try and set yourself apart from the other applicants. Show us why you are special!
Please only get in touch if you’re able to meet all of these needs – we don’t want to disappoint you 🙂