Job title: UI / UX Designer
Reports to: Product Manager
To design is to solve problems. It is the form and the function. It is both click button and story. It is a convergence of two worlds, and it’s about much more than making things pretty! As we build the world’s best platform for online coaching, we’re looking for a designer who gets it.
If you think that you could artfully arrange pixels and code to elegantly express our founding beliefs and create the perfect look, layout, and experience for our clients, platform and internal tools, then take this sense checker to see whether you’re the one (aka living proof that unicorns in the design world are not myth)!
Are you a skilled creative professional who understands the corporate world and can respond to that world by building clean and effective user experiences?
Can you work cross-functionally and understand needs from the product space, engineering worlds, and business stakeholders?
Can you collaborate to build solutions that fit those needs?
Do you believe that people are capable of great things when their behaviors are driven by powerful ideas and deeply felt emotions?
Could you master the convergence of UI with UX?
Do you appreciate the values of People, Teamwork, Excellence, Action, Empathy, Questioning, and Integrity?
If you’ve responded with a resounding YES (in multiple fonts and colors) then we’d like you to be a part of our design team.
The bits that you’ll need in your palette
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent tertiary qualification in web design, or a digital design-related field like Human–Computer Interaction (HCI) or User Experience Design (UXD)
- Proficiency in the use of graphics and wireframing tools (Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, XD etc.)
- Deep understanding of HTML, CSS, and JQuery mysteries
- A digital or online portfolio, including live-and-kicking examples of your work
How you would apply your skills:
Designing solutions by
- Conceptualizing and creating intuitive, engaging, aesthetic, and brand-consistent user experiences
- Developing and presenting documentation, user flows, annotated wireframes, and interactive prototypes
- Interpreting client and project design needs
- Planning user personas and journeys and applying this to design concepts
- Confidently explaining UX decisions to clients and gathering feedback to enhance output
Building solutions by
- Translating UI designs to program interfaces using internal tools, with support from front-end developers (and doing so within impossible, yet possible, deadlines)
Nurturing and improving what’s already built by
- Continually improving and optimizing user experiences for client programs, our platform, and internal tools through the application of your UI/UX grandmaster skills
- Leveraging user testing and research to make product improvements
- Maintaining and championing the brand we love
- Ensuring all Cognician processes and interactions are as intuitive and user-friendly as possible
Working to standards of excellence by
- Ensuring that established design and UX principles are consistently and appropriately applied throughout your work
- Working with product management, engineering, business stakeholders, writers, and third-party vendors to understand and deliver projects
We’d also expect you to tend your garden by
- Keeping up with web trends and the latest industry developments from a UX and UI perspective
How does that sound? Could this be just the opportunity to work your magic? If so, check out what we’re hoping you’ll have on your masterpiece CV:
What your guru status should look like:
- A minimum of 3–4 years of corporate industry experience in a web/UI/UX design position, where you’ve had an active design and development role. (you’re a decent way into developing your craft and you can call on your experience as a guide)
- With heaps of tech:
- HTML and CSS (essential)
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign expertise (totally)
- Sketch (preferred)
- Mac savvy (preferred)
- InVision / XD (beneficial)
- Zeplin (beneficial)
Your Bio should read:
- An in and out-of-the-cuboid thinker
- Idea generator
- Playful with paper and digital mockups
- A lover of prototypes
- A therapist to ambiguity (you can handle it but you help it to be less of a mission for others)
- Prioritization ninja – workload, pressure, and tight deadlines give you the opportunity to flex your skills, not freak out!
- Can do the independent and collaborative
- Rationalizing your design thinking to clients gives you a buzz
- Natural ability to take initiative
- Your attention to detail can be called high-level pedantic
- Your written and verbal communication skills are beyond reproach
- You’re game for the challenge of designing creatively within corporate parameters (you thrive on seeing what marvels you can create within constraints given – the more constraints, the more you are inspired to respond creatively)
- You’re insatiably curious
- Quick with a laugh or a smile
- You embrace People-centric, Teamwork-loving, Excellence-promoting, Action-taking, Empathy-demonstrating, helpful-Questioning and Integrity-prevailing behaviors
If you’re even more convinced that this is you, then let’s join journeys shall we? Send our GM your CV, covering letter and portfolio at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last word before dropping the mic… things to consider when you’re applying:
- We need you at our home base in Cape Town, South Africa (it would be difficult for you to share in our office lunches and surprise treats otherwise:-)).
- Wordsmithery is core to our work, so please make sure your application doesn’t have any spelling or grammar mistakes.