- What information we collect, and why we collect it
- How we use that information
- What your data rights are
No law degree required! But if you’re not really sure about terms like ‘cookies’, ‘IP addresses’, ‘browsers’, ‘PII’ and ‘non-PII’, it’s time to turn to trusty Google. Data privacy is important to us, so whether you’re just browsing our website or enrolling for a program on our platform, take a moment to read about how we’re caring for your data on our system. And for any questions or additional support needs you might have, please contact us on email@example.com and we’ll be sure to get back to you.
It’s All about Data Collection
Here at Cognician, we believe that you have the right to privacy and control over your personal information that we collect when you use our services. We strongly believe in transparency and want to be clear about what data we collect, and why we collect it. This is a big responsibility for us, and we will continue to do do our best to protect your personal information as best we can. We do not, and will never, engage in practices such as benefiting from selling your personal information to third parties. We’ve tried to summarize our policy by answering some key questions.
- How do we collect and process your personal data?
Cognician collects and processes personal data when you interact with certain components of our website or platform, such as registration forms or customer support. We also collect your personal data if you identify yourself by sending us an email containing personal information. We work hard to ensure that the collection and processing of your personal data is in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR) and that all the necessary steps have been taken to protect your personal information.
- Who is responsible for data processing at Cognician, and how can you contact them?
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) in compliance with the GDPR. The DPO has formal responsibility for data protection to ensure compliance with GDPR requirements. You can reach our company DPO at firstname.lastname@example.org
- What type of personal data do we collect and process?
Collection and processing of personal data through our platform is in order for us to deliver certain services or products to you and will only take place on the basis of your full consent. Not providing your full consent might result in limited functionality or restricted access to certain services or products you might want to subscribe to.
No personally identifiable information (PII) will be collected and/or used in any analysis without your direct consent.
Any data of a sensitive nature including health, gender, ethnicity and religious affiliation is only collected and analyzed under the governance of the GDPR, and thereby with explicit consent.
Personal data will be collected fairly and for lawful purposes only. The data will be processed by the company within its legal and moral boundaries and will be accurate and kept up to date.
The relevant information we collect and process when you visit our website or platform includes both personal and non-personal information including:
- Contact information such as name, surname, email address
- Unique identifiers such as nickname and password
- Online identifiers such as internet protocol (IP) addresses, internet domain name, cookie strings, information regarding which website pages are accessed, browser type, and version
- User data generated by you on the Cognician platform
- Content data that is offered by you as a participant in a particular program hosted on the platform
- Functional data necessary for us to ensure our products function as intended in terms of performance and functionality
Our third-party service providers may collect location identifiers like time zone settings.
- How do we use the information, and on what legal basis?
We process personal data in accordance with the provisions of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and will only use your personal data for the purposes specified below based on your consent:
- For registration purposes, e.g. registration of new clients through our website and platform
- To enable us to provide services or products to registered clients in the form of software as a service (SaaS)
- For us to provide you with technical and product support
- FOr general statistical purposes, which might include the transformation and derivation of the data in any way that Cognician Inc. and group companies deem suitable for analysis
- In direct support of the overall user experience
- In direct support of operating the underlying platform
- For general communications with you as the user
- Is your data secure? You bet!
Your personal data protection is really important to us and we are aware that this is a big responsibility. We do our best to secure your information and to protect your information from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. While handling your personal data, we ensure appropriate security measures are in place and industry best practices are adhered to including the use of several different technologies and procedures to help protect the security of your personal data when transfered or when stored.
- What are your data rights?
In accordance with the GDPR, you have the:
- right to access your personal data and keep it up to date
- right to request that your data be forgotten or erased
- right to restrict or object to the processing of your personal data
- right to data portability if you move away from this platform
- right to lodge a complaint with an appropriate data privacy regulatory authority
- Who else has access to your personal information?
Nobody who doesn’t need to! Personal data will not be distributed to any third parties other than the ones agreed upon (exempting legitimate requests from law enforcement authorities). We also make use of third-party service providers to provide services on our behalf, for example, to manage communication and support requests with clients. In such instances we may provide personal information to such third parties only for the purpose of performing services on our behalf and for the purposes given above.
- What about the International transfer of personal data?
We will not transfer your personal data to organizations, states, or countries that do not have adequate data protection policies. In cases where data is transferred for the purposes of our programs outside of the EU and Switzerland to the United States, Cognician requires all data processing partners to be Privacy Shield compliant.
- Okay, so how long will your data be stored?
In terms of our Data Retention Policy, your personal data will not be stored for more than the amount of time specified in a partner master services agreement or statement of work. In general, we retain your personal information as needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, i.e., we will process and store your personal data as necessary in order to fulfill our business requirements and contractual or legal obligations.
A Note on Web Analytics
We implement Google Analytics features that use Display Advertising information for Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. We collect information about how you interact with our platform and services on our websites.
You can opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising to prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics by going to the Google Analytics opt-out page.
- Third parties
Cognician uses the services of Intercom, Inc. to manage communication and support requests. Intercom uses a unique cookie that is associated with an individual which enables it to provide its services. These cookies are stored within a user’s browser, and the management of these cookies may be done through the browser.
All data collected through the Intercom interface is used for the express purpose of communication with Cognician’s users and to offer support to this user base. Cognician does use this data for support query analysis. User location may also be analyzed for reporting purposes or analysis that may require timezone analysis.
Thank you for reading this. Happy cogging!